Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Visita Iglesia and Churches in Manila


Its the time of the year again to reflect our faith in God. To think about His sacrifices for us. Others may opt to go out of town and enjoy the long weekend, I choose to stay in Manila and visit Churches around the city as part of my Visita Iglesia 2012. I challenged myself to spend less than 500php.

From Cubao I rode the jeep bound to Mabini. Fare is 19php. I got off at Round Table in Intramuros. From the gate of the Walled City i walked approximately 200 meters to reach my first destination.

San Agustin Church:
San Agustin Church
A World Heritage Site by UNESCO under Baroque Churches. The oldest standing church in the Philippines built by the Agustinians. The facade maybe unpretentious unlike other churches but the interiors are marvelous. The ceiling was painted by the Italian artist Cesare Alberoni and Giovanni Dibella in 1875.The remains of the famous Filipino artist Juan Luna was also buried in one of the crypt inside the church.

San Agustin Church Interior
Credits to Noe Trinch awesome pics
After San Agustin Church I went to its neighboring church the notable Manila Cathedral.It is currently close because of the newly discovered structural flaw. The foremost Basilica in the country, Manila Cathedral is also known as Immaculate Concepcion Basilica was first built in 1571. It was destroyed and rebuilt several times.
Manila Cathedral
Front Facade

The Latin inscription on the front facade Tibi cordi tuo immaculato concredimus nos ac consecramus in English,We consecrate to your immaculate heart and entrust to you Mary for safekeeping.

I continued my Visita Iglesia from Manila Cathedral I walked towards Cabildo St heading to Chowking , then I turn right at Andres Soriano Ave then turn left at Solana walked straight till I reached Plaza Mexico River Terminal.

follow the dots =)


It was almost six pm when I reached Jones Bridge.I continue walking for my third destination. The Binondo Church in Binondo district.

Sunset from Jones Bridge in Manila
Chinese-Filipino Friendship Arch
The Binondo Church or Minor Basilica of St Lorenzo Ruiz was founded by the Dominican priest in 1596.
Our very own Saint Lorenzo Ruiz was trained in this church. Masses are in Filipino, English and Chinese dialects.
San Lorenzo Ruiz Minor Basilica
After visiting three churches I rest and ate at Masuki Mami House in Chinatown.One serving is good enough for two people. It was huge bowl with authentic hand pulled noodles.
Asado Mami

From Binondo I rode the jeep bound to Mendiola. I alighted at Legarda then went straight to the lovely San Sebastian Church.

Among all the churches I visited this one is special. I used to come here with an old flame when I was in college.The Minore Basilica is under the care of the Augustinians Recollects.The only all steel church in the Philippines and in Asia. Its Gothic architecture feels like going back to to the medieval period. San Sebastian is also on the tentative list for possible World Heritage Site.It was reputed that the French engineer who designed the Eiffel Tower and the steel construction of Liberty Statue was also behind the constriction and design of the San Sebastian.

San Sebastian Basilica
From San Sebastian I walked towards Mendiola.I went to San Beda Church, St Jude Thaddeus Church Along J.P Laurel near Malacanang Complex.

St Jude Church in  Malacanang
Statue of St Michael outside San Miguel Church
At nine in the evening I officially finished my Visita Iglesia. Total money that I spent is 245php. Couple of water bottles 30php, Asado Mami in Masuki 110php and my transportation cost is 105php.

May we all have a meaningful Lent and a jubilant Easter.

No comments:

please also read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...