Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bangkok Thailand Ellen's Overview

It is the strong coffee and its aroma that wake up my senses. I pinch myself and realized I'm still in a foreign country. Its almost 8am when I check my wristwatch, within the next 3 hours ill be flying north.

Toast, Eggs and Coffee for breaky @ Kopitiam Tampines, SG 

Welcome to Sukhumvit Airport! I didn't bother to listen. I'm excited! Another foreign country, another foreign language.



Thailand Aerial View

From Sukhumvit Airport I rode the train located at the basement bound to city. I alighted at the last station Makkasan. I think I paid around 20baht for the train ride I honestly cant remember. Then I asked the train employee on how can i get to Khao San Road.


From Makkasan I rode the bus #556 that take me to Khao San Road for 16baht.

Where I Sleep:

Six months before the trip I booked a budget hotel in Agoda with free breakfast for 3000 pesos.

Welcome to Sawasdee Bunglumpoo Inn




Hotel Amenities:

Free Wifi ( stayed on 3rd flr I cant get any connection)

TV and Ref ( HBO is the only English channel)

Hot and Cold Shower

I must say I'm satisfied with my stay at Sawasdee. The staffs are accommodating and friendly. The rooms are clean and pleasant. Highly recommended for budget traveler like me.


Khao San Road:

Backpackers and budget travellers haven. This place is also close to historical sites in the city such as Grand Palace, Wat Po and the Chao Praya River. A very busy street with vendors left and right. Travel agencies are also scattered in the area that offers cheap tours around Thailand. But wait there's more this busy Khao San Road turns to into a street club at night. Amazing!

Khao San Road Daytime

Food:

Most local foods are spicy!  

Bangkok's Street Food Vendor

Pad Thai Spices
Pad Thai

spices,milk tea and local burger
dinner time and bar at Bangkok

Getting Around: 


With my 4 days stay at Bangkok bus is still the cheapest way to travel around intercity. Though, i got lost couple of times for budget traveller asking questions with the locals help me a lot to reach my destination. Taxi is okay though I felt like the driver cheated on me because he was reluctant to use the meter. So be careful and insist to use the meter all the time!With my 4 days stay i found tuktuk more expensive than taxi.

 There was this local who offer us to tour around the city for 20baht. Cheap right? so we went to two temples it was a small temples located inside the schools. Nothing special. The driver said there is an ongoing expo that we need to visit to check their local goods. But instead we went to a jewelry shop. So beware! We spent 2hours inside the shop, I mean I'm not interested in buying golds and jewelry so i felt like it ruined our itinerary for that day.

Tuk Tuk

Overall Bangkok is like Manila. Polluted, street vendors, traffic,the locals the look is similar to Filipino. But what makes this city unique is they  know how to value their historical attractions. Which i guessed we're lacking as I heard the old post office building in Manila is now being sold to foreigners. And soon will be Fullerton Hotel. Sad =(


No comments:

please also read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...