Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

The City of Gentle People Dumaguete

From the Port of Cebu we sailed overnight across the Straight of Cebu. The waves rocked the boat like a cradle. I was in a deep slumber when the horn of the ship was sounded. A pretty unusual way to be awaken. Somewhat like a huge alarm clock minus the snooze button. I stood up and stretched myself, this is the closest thing that I have to an exercise. I walked through the port hole and at last we were in Dumaguete.


breaking dawn at Dumaguete port
After a quick breakfast, our first stop was the notable Rizal Boulevard. It was a stones throw away from Mickey D's. on the side of the road was a kilometer stretch of paved baywalk that is filled with joggers. It cross my mind that this maybe the time to start jogging to loose the calories I've accumulated from being a foodie, but I quickly changed my mind. There's a lot of thing's to do and we have so little time. So we did a quick stroll of the baywalk, I can't help but admire the old fashioned lamps hanging in the Acacia trees. I think its a great spot to just hang around and stroll.


Seaside Promenade

Rizal Boulevard



After a quick browse of the scenery, something caught my eye. A place that seemed to park at first look turned out to be something different. After taking a closer look I just realized that im front of the most popular school in Dumaguete, Siliman University.

Siliman Hall 
Siliman University Church built in 1914 
Siliman University garden

 A private institution that holds a prime spot in the city that was established by the Americans in 1901, making it the first private Protestant school in the Philippines. Luckily the people in the said institution were kind enough to give us access to the university grounds. The place is so relaxing, teeming with trees and covered by manicured lawns. It really looks like a park masking as a place of learning. I was so relaxed that I was able to get a quick nap on the benches of the amphitheater. The Siliman Hall is the oldest standing structure in the country and is branded as a National Landmark by the National Historic Institute.
University main entrance "Gate of  Opportunity"

Siliman University west entrance "the gate of portal"
A few meters away from Siliman University is Quezon Park. An expansive park placed in the center of the suburb. A modest version of the Rizal Park minus the grand water fountain. The place is so well kept and pretty impressive. Like the Siliman University, the Quezon Park is also packed with Trees and has a well maintained lawn. On the park I also saw a cute, old, crimson fire truck. Placed there for picture taking purposes.
Rizal Monument at Quezon Park
St Catherine of Alexandria Cathedral Dumaguete
        
Dumaguete Cathedral Interior 
Dumaguete Belfry

No comments:

please also read

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...